Sticky Fingers

Saturday, April 22, 2006

You have to see this fabulous red flower!

I got this cactus from Evergrow in December 2004 - I have never known what it is. I can't even put it in a genus, much less to identify the species. It didn't seem to be doing so well - it grew a bit taller but otherwise just sat for a long time. There was a stage when I wondered if it was even still alive.

In March this year, I unpotted it, washed out the roots, and gave it a fresh start. It had the same problem that I had found with several others, where the roots were stuck into a tiny block and the plant wasn't able to grow. I set it out in the sun at the side of a big clay pot with some other plants, and just look at what has happened!

Watch me grow ....

Started by working on some pups, then decided to try for a flower bud...

Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Getting ready to open......
Image hosting by Photobucket

Now open!
Image hosting by Photobucket

And here's another view of the flower.
Image hosting by Photobucket

I had hoped that this would be a good flowering year for me and so far, it seems to be great.

Isn't that flower just fabulous? And it looks like there are two more buds coming along - hope they make it.

1 Comments:

  • I just got that cactus from Poot's House of Cactus and he just labeled it Lobivia, no species given. There's an awful lot of Lobibia's and they've all been put into the genus Echinopsis.

    By Blogger Paul Johansson, at June 24, 2008 6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home