Sticky Fingers

Friday, September 14, 2007

Aloe striata

This one has been doing well, probably because my dog sees fit to give it an extra dose of nitrogen every day! I used to have it under the Poor Man's Orchid, but it wasn't thriving at all, and I temporarily rested it in the pot with the pepper. Then the added nutrients started kicking in and it has been looking fat and healthy since. Now I have placed it (again temporarily) in its own concrete pot but I need to decide where I really want to put it.





I am not sure how big this is supposed to grow so I need some advice and then I can take a decision.

3 Comments:

  • Janine,
    I think (from what I read) that the aloe striata likes full sun. It can tolerate some partial shade though. Anyway, under the poor man's orchid (though it is dapple shade)may be too shady for it. Just my thoughts. Madlon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 14, 2007 10:18 am  

  • Madlon,

    I have previously made the mistake of placing plants in full sun based on general recommendations, not realising that our full sun is far more intense than it is in northern or southern climes because of our proximity to the equator.

    This results in sunburn and sometimes death, so I now try to acclimatise my plants by starting with a shadier spot than might be recommended. The Aloe striata is now in a position where it gets full afternoon sun, so I will see how it responds.

    I still have my Aloe ferox under the Poor Man's Orchid and it is growing quite happily there, although that is also one that may eventually be put in more sun.

    By Blogger Jade, at September 14, 2007 12:10 pm  

  • Hi Jade,
    I have mine under the canopy of a Palo Verde tree, which gives it very filtered light. Our summer has been so long this year, it's getting a little sunburned, but I think it will be fine once the weather cools. Since it's a winter bloomer, I don't over water in summer.
    Aiyana

    By Blogger Aiyana, at September 14, 2007 12:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home