Sticky Fingers

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Haworthia limifolia

I am trying hard to get back on track. I should post my plant of the week on Sunday or Monday. Last week I didn't get it posted until Wednesday. This week it is now Tuesday already. Maybe next week I'll be on time.

This Haworthia limifolia was repotted this weekend because someone persuaded me to sell them the only one I had set up in a 4" pot. My larger plant (in this 6" pot) had put on many pups but I hadn't made any move to repot it. I figured I should separate and repot so that I would still have more than one plant. I am usually hesitant to repot while a plant is in flower, but this plant hardly seems to be disturbed by anything like this.

I ended up with the plant shown below, another filling a 5" pot, several in another 5" pot, one in a 4" pot, and one in a 2" pot. All these coming out of a single 6" pot. I'm not even counting the suckers that were developing all over the roots that I re-buried, and hope to see surfacing soon.

Such an easy plant, not in the least bit fussy, attractive rosette that looks soft but is quite sturdy, and a reliable bloomer.

Haworthia limifolia


5 Comments:

  • I love the look of this plant! Yours looks nice in it's new pot!!!

    By Blogger Julie, at April 23, 2008 3:02 pm  

  • I love your 'blog. I noticed the spiral arrangement of the leaves of Haw. limifolia. Have you tried Aloe polyphylla? It has a remarkable spiral shape, grows to 3 feet tall and wide, and grows in moist climates. It is native to Drakensberg Mtns. of South Africa, where it is nearly extinct, and lives at high altitude. Seed-grown plants are available: look on Google. It has a reputation for being very difficult to cultivate, and the two I bought both died, but Jamaica may be just right. Sincerely, Mike in Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 24, 2008 7:27 pm  

  • Thanks, Julie. The new flower spike has continued to grow so I guess it is happy.

    Mike, I don't know if I want to experiment just yet with Aloe polyphylla - I gather that it likes a much cooler climate (because of the high altitude) than I have here in the Caribbean tropics. I'd also have to grow it myself from seed because importing plants is not the simplest activity and I have found that imported plants do not adjust readily. As I progress I may find myself more willing to try with such "exotic" species, so I don't rule out the possibility.

    By Blogger Jade, at April 24, 2008 11:21 pm  

  • I just bought one of these at our Cactus and Succulent Society Show and Sale. Hope it is as easy as you say. I've not been too interested in the Haworthia genus, but lately they are more appealing for some reason.
    Aiyana

    By Blogger Aiyana, at April 30, 2008 2:08 am  

  • I love the look of this plant and ended up with three of them. They have pups or offshoots coming up at the edge of the pot. Can anyone rec whether to cut them and replant them or leave them to grow. Some pups are hard on the mom plant. I am a total novice and appreciate any info
    Nancy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 14, 2010 9:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home