Sticky Fingers

Monday, March 31, 2008

Echinofossulocactus ochoterenaus

I couldn't post anything but this as the Plant of the Week. This is one of my own babies grown from seed that I got from Glenhirst Cactus Nursery in the UK in 2003, which was my first real attempt at growing cactus from seed. Many mistakes were made, and of the 145 species that I got seed packets for, only 27 plants have survived.

The Echinofossulocactus ochoterenaus is is one of the surviviors, and at just under five years old it has thrown out its first blooms. I think they are just beautiful!

Echinofossulocactus ochoterenaus








I love the wavy ribs on these species, and I keep on trying to grow more but it's a long slow process. Now I have three other TINY Echinofossulocactus seedlings that are nearly two years old but I am not yet confident of their survival. I hope I will be able to show off their blooms in another few years.

3 Comments:

  • Very nice. Mine has never bloomed. I'm still hopeful!
    Aiyana

    By Blogger Aiyana, at April 01, 2008 2:31 am  

  • This is such a beautiful cactus, and gorgeous blooms!!! Good job, and congratulations!!!

    By Blogger Julie, at April 02, 2008 9:30 pm  

  • It's beautiful! I have a teeny-tiny cactus baby growing that I started the beginning of March, I blogged it if you want to check it out. It's got a long way to go! You've waited a long time for flowers, but boy was it worth it!

    By Blogger Kelly, at April 03, 2008 5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home