Sticky Fingers

Monday, February 18, 2008

My "Plant of the Week"

This week's plant is one for which I do not have a positive ID. I know it is a Haworthia, probably a type of attenuata, but I don't know enough to be confident about it. This one has a lot of white in it, and in this particular photo it is showing its "winter" colours.

Haworthia (attenuata?)





It has been quietly blooming and putting on more and more offsets. I intend to separate it so that I can have more plants, but it isn't easy to get off any of the little suckers! Instead I have just ended up repotting it and allowing it to get larger, but I will have to try to extract even a small one soon.

5 Comments:

  • Hi! How nice it is to meet a fellow succulent lover!!! Your blog is great!

    By Blogger Julie, at February 18, 2008 10:44 pm  

  • It sure looks like a Haworthia attenuata, from my few books I use for I.D.'ing my succulents. One of mine shows this plant with the darker coloration as well.

    By Blogger Julie, at February 19, 2008 7:35 pm  

  • I have one very similar which I have ID'd as H. fasciata. Mine is a darker green but maybe you have much more sun than I do! Check out the picture on my website
    http://www.bluefoxfarm.com/succulent-haworthia.htm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 28, 2008 2:39 pm  

  • I have one of these too, and so does my friend Donna. She was going to give me one of her babies, (before I got one for myself), and had the same problem trying to separate it. They have much thicker root systems that most succulents. I've noticed this with all from their species: Family: Liliaceae, Genus: Hawthoria, Species Variety: Fasicata, Common Name: Zebra Plant. Most from the Liliaceae seem to have thick roots!

    By Blogger Kelly, at March 30, 2008 8:18 pm  

  • I am growing these Haworthia and have always known them as H fasciata. They are endemic to the Cape Province in South Africa. They reproduce massively when left alone. One plant becomes 20+ in no time. Very water-wise. I grow many different succulents along with just about anything that I can grow in my greenhouse and shade areas

    By Anonymous Martin, at October 01, 2014 4:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home