Sticky Fingers

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Another first flower!

Seems that it must be time that my Mammillarias are coming to maturity. My M. albicoma pushed out a bud last week, and while I can't say when it opened first, I was able to catch the photo today.





I have been struggling with this species, trying to figure out and understand what it needs, and I lost one of my two seedlings late last year during or after the rainy season. This one was looking quite bedraggled - I was pleased to see it start to grow again, and now with a bonus!

I still have blooms coming up from the M. albilanata, M. dixanthocentron, and M. supertexta. I'm tempted to search all my babies every morning to see if there is anything new, but I don't have the time, so I just do it when I can. Every so often I get a surprise.

I am now hoping to get some fruit from these blooms so that I may grow the next generation of these species (although I am not controlling pollination and may get hybrids). I received a batch (24 species) from BCSS this week, and I am eager to sow them so that they will get started on their journey to becoming fabulous mature plants that I can enjoy in however many years.

The more I grow, the more I want to grow. When will it stop??

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home