Sticky Fingers

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Ready to repot

These seedlings are nearly ready to be potted up. I am trying to hold back to see just how much they can take before they burst their pots or jump out themselves, but at the same time I don't want them to be misshapen or disfigured just because I waited too long.

I need to get more soil mixed, because I have seeds to sow and so many seedlings and other plants that need repotting. I have just ordered more seed from two sources, so I will have to expand my growing area as they progress (still have no greenhouse). I am sure I will get to the point when I just don't have enough time to tend to them all but I'll see what I do when that happens.

Mammillaria geminispina - these will be a year old in a couple of weeks. I got the seed from Mr. Wallace - picked the fruit off the plants in his collection. I still have a LOT of seed left.


These guys look like they might be Gymnocalycium. They are about eleven months old now. Bill sent me the seed, but these were without ID (spilled).


Matucana madisoniorum - also got this seed from Bill. I tried several times before to grow this without success so I was glad to get enough seed to make mistakes with. I don't think I'm doing badly now, though. I just think this plant is so cool - can hardly wait for these babies to grow up some more.



These Dolichothele baumii (yes, I know - should be Mammillaria baumii)are only about seven months old, but have grown well. The seed came from Juergen, and I'm very happy with the quality - good germination and vigorous growth so far. I have an adult plant, but it grows very slowly and I recently had to separate it into small plants as it was threatening to rot. I hope these seedlings (born into my conditions) will grow better and BLOOM!


2 Comments:

  • Your seedlings have finally inspired me to try some myself. I just harvested some seed from the fruit of a Ferocactus cylindraceus, and will plant them this week. These barrels are so common here--I can get large specimens for a $5 permit when the developers call our local CSS club to have cacti moved from their land. But then, that's not the point I guess. It may, or may not be fun to try this--I've always avoided seed propagation. No patience! Hope it works.
    Aiyana

    By Blogger Aiyana, at January 16, 2008 12:34 am  

  • Good luck with your seed-raising. Takes some trial and error to figure out what works well for you.

    That's the frustrating part before the rewarding part. I think I'm over that hurdle so now it's fun.

    By Blogger Jade, at January 26, 2008 11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home