Sticky Fingers

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Bryophyllum 'crenatodaigremontianum'

This is a cross between Kalanchoe crenatum and Kalanchoe daigremontianum. It produces many plantlets on the edges of the leaves and can look absolutely fabulous when grow hard in the sun, when it takes on a beautiful reddish tinge.

I have mixed feelings about this plant, and it is evidenced by the fact that it gets terrible treatment, although it can be a very attractive specimen. It is not impossible to kill it, but there is no shortage of offsets and it can be found all around my garden now, growing in every possible location where the plantlets have fallen, even lookin glike "flowers" at the crown of cacti. I intend to cultivate a specimen potted up nicely in a container and see if I can have it ready for the JHS show for the end of April.

Kalanchoe 'crenatodaigremontianum'
(sunny spot)


(shady spot)


4 Comments:

  • Hi Janine! I love the colors these take on in full sun. Your plant has such nice, large leaves. :) Around here, almost all Bryophyllums are considered weeds. I think I'd be thrown out if I tried to enter one in a show. :P I think it'll look fabulous!
    See you on the forum!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 05, 2008 12:53 pm  

  • What a name! I think I have these, but they were labeled as Kalanchoe marmorata. Maybe they are just similar. I can't tell them apart just by looking at your photo.
    Aiyana

    By Blogger Aiyana, at March 10, 2008 10:23 pm  

  • Aiyana,

    My very quick research in response to your suggestion leads me to the conclusion that this is definitely NOT K. marmorata. This plant is a prolific plantlet producer, while K. marmorata does not produce plantlets along the leaf margins.

    While Bryophyllum and Kalanchoe have been lumped (and maybe separated again???? -not sure), the photos of K. marmorata show distinctive Kalanchoe flowers (yellow upright blooms), while this produces Bryophyllum type blooms (red and hanging down like bells).

    They do have similar leaf shapes, though, so would not be that easy to tell apart without considering other characteristics.

    By Blogger Jade, at March 11, 2008 10:35 am  

  • I could see why Rosemarie said they could be considered weeds. I can't believe how well these and almost all succulents reproduce! I received a "bonus" plant when I bought a Bear Paw succulent. We thought it was another Bear Paw, but I think it might be a Bryophyllum species of Kalanchoe. Here's a link if you'd like to see my article: http://kellysnotsogreenthumb.blogspot.com/2008/03/mother-of-thousands-bryophyllum.html

    I love the colors of your plant!

    By Blogger Kelly, at March 30, 2008 8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home