Sticky Fingers

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Keeping them growing

Despite the fact that I feel as though I've run out of space to safely grow my young seedlings (under some shelter but with enough sun), I need to keep them progressing at a reasonable pace. Today I pinned out some of the yearlings to a 120-cell tray so that each will have its own space to grow, however limited it might be.

I managed to find a space for the tray by moving over a partly hanging Sedum morganianum, which I have treated very badly. It needs repotting desperately, but I can't figure how to do it without doing great damage to all the tails.

Next week I will start the greenhouse if I can get the blocks for the foundation of the sides. I think I must - can't let this season go by and stifle the growth of all these plants. I'm not back to using my regular soil mix but I'm working with a combination of some commercially available soil and so far, it works for the seedlings under shelter. I can't swear what will happen if they have to be out in the rain - so I'm not putting them out - hence the need for the greenhouse where the watering will be controlled - delivered when I say so and not by Mother Nature.

2 Comments:

  • Sounds great! What type of greenhouse are you building? I am sure your plants are happier than mine right now...they are beginning to grow, and are still confined to the house, where there isn't enough light - still too cold at night outside. Happy building!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 23, 2009 8:47 pm  

  • Not really a greenhouse - more like a steel lattice enclosure to provide the shelter needed from the rain (part with transparent roof) and from the sun (part with shadecloth). There will be no restriction on air movement - that would be just WAY too humid so the "walls" should be 6" square steel mesh to secure my plants from anyone who might then choose to try to come into the backyard and help themselves.

    By Blogger Jade, at March 27, 2009 9:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home