Sticky Fingers

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Echinocereus knippelianus

This is one of my favourite plants. From early on, when I started getting to know more about cacti, it just seemed so attractive with its plump green body with few spines and nice flowers. This was, of course, from looking at photos in books, because I didn't have one to see for myself.

Many of the seeds I ordered from a nursery in the UK in 2003 did not survive due to a combination of my lack of knowledge and other external factors (heat, insects, etc), but I have managed to get a few of them to three years old now and doing well.

Included in these (survivors) are two Echinocereus knippelianus plants, and although I have no blooms yet, I feel that I have done well with them. One of them was attacked by some insect about a year ago, and I was sure it wouldn't survive since the growing point was damaged, but after languishing for a while it has now put on another stem which looks just fine and healthy. You can see it in the photo. Now I'm just waiting to see if I get more offsets or even flowers.


2 Comments:

  • Hi Jade,I just read your blog today for the first time.You seem very passionate about cacti and succulents.I have some (about fifteen maybe) cactus acquired over a few years.I buy them primarily for the way they look and always look for new ones that look different.The flowers are totally amazing on the ones you photogrpahed.I did not even know cactus flowered untill i started learning about plants etc.I have added you to my fav list, so i will check back often.keep it up,

    By Blogger David (Snappy), at July 05, 2006 7:00 pm  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 19, 2006 2:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home